Most of us are unknown about the fact of using shortcut keys which is beneficial in a way that it consumes less of our time to work also makes our work easier. Most of us also use shortcut keys which is a good point but what would you do if your key stops working? It really gets annoying when you can’t work the same way. Here are the tips to fix your windows alt f4 keys which is actually for Windows 10. We all have that one bad habit of crashing our stuff when something goes wrong with the keys of our personal computers, we are all aware of this but still, we do it anyway because it’s annoying at the middle of any work. It is funny how it works sometimes which is the only reason we love smashing our stuff once it stops working in the hope of it working. But keep it in mind that smashing every time your things go wrong with desktop and other computer peripheral is not going to work. Most of us use the alt + f4 key shortcut as it is very useful for the purpose of closing most apps. Let’s talk about the function keys which is denoted as FN key and is usually located around the space button. FN keys are mostly used as the activation for the secondary function. Sometimes there are keys on our keyboard which have dual function due to the design and layout of the keyboard. Reasons, why our keys stop working, may vary with the impact we work on it but no worries in case keys stop working. Here are the ways to fix your problem while using alt + f4 key.
1. Reboot and update: This is usually the first thing that comes to our mind when our keys stop functioning. Make sure to check if there are any kinds of updates available and reboot it once you are done with checking alt+f4 key working or not.
To make these change as mentioned on Reboot and update follow these simple steps as follows:
- Open settings.
- Go to update and security
- Then update the system.
2. Sticky keys need to be turned off: Sticky keys are those that are designed to help access the suite features which helps by allowing the key to be activated after being released too. For a reason, the one key can be pressed one at a time (FN key, alt key, and f4) in ascending order, while not typing it together because most of the keys work only when you enter it together.
Follow these simple steps to turn of the sticky key:
- Go to the search bar on your window.
- Type ‘Ease of access keyboard settings’
- Scroll down to find the ‘toggle off sticky keys’ and click on that button.
3. Troubleshooting the keyboard: For all your Windows 10 comes with a Troubleshooter program that can find and resolve a lot of different issues with applications and services that come pre-installed on Windows 10. Open Settings by pressing on Windows key+I keys and then search for ‘troubleshoot keyboard’ and it will fix all the keyboard related problems.
4. Edit registry entry: This is also one of the methods to fix your alt + f4 button not working. You need to press on windows key +r buttons which will open the run prompt and on the screen displayed type ‘regedit’ and click on the ‘enter’ button hence your action is completed. The process doesn’t end here so click. It will show this step on the screen
Follow these simple steps after you run the word ‘regedit’:You will see an entry named as NoWinKeys.
- Double click on it and open.
- Change the decimal value to 0.
- You may not find ‘NoWinKeys’ for that right click to create a new dword (32-bit) entry.
- Simply name this as NoWinKeys.
- Double click on the entry created.
- Select decimal under base.
- Set the value as zero ‘0’.
- Save all the processes.
- Reboot your pc.
Note: if you are making an edit on an existing entry, create a backup on any of your external drives first to make sure that you won’t lose anything on your device.
5. Changing bios: changing bios is an advanced step and helps in making a random change which prevents your windows 10 from being booted normally. For which you need to copy because on this process you will be shutting down your pc and making a reboot done in bios which won’t let you access your web and instructions won’t be able to be browsed.
Follow these simple step to change bios:
- Reboot your computer
- Click on the ‘window logo’.
- Press the ‘f1 or f2 or f12’ keys continuously to enter the bios.
- A blue screen will appear.
- Try a few more times until the blue screen appears.
- Use the arrow to navigate under the configuration tab which will appear as a hotkey mode.
- Disable it to use the legacy fx function directly.
- You may see the different option but find out the function or fx key option which is important.
The last thing you can do is change the keyboard if everything fails. There are varieties of options you may use an external keyboard which is easily available in the market and if you are not a person who can use an external keyboard and it bothers you a lot try contacting some of the hardware people who can help you fix your alt + f4 key fix.
Hence, these are the steps you need to follow while fixing alt + f4 key on windows 10 and make sure that if the mentioned techniques here do not work then visit IT related person who has a good knowledge of fixing the issues on windows rather than smashing your keyboard and other devices related around because it might cause more other problem for your device. Smashing might be able to fix the problem you face sometimes but it is not always is going to work so make sure to use a good method to fix your problem.